NORMA is a collecting society for performers. This includes musicians, actors, singers, dancers and all other persons who act, sing, deliver or otherwise perform a literary or artistic work.
NORMA looks after the interests of performers in the field of related rights.
NORMA distributes neighboring rights to performers. This means remuneration for:
• private copying
• lending right, cable right
• background music
• tv-series on dvd and radio play
• use of archives
NORMA collects these remunerations from different collecting societies or collects directly and distributes them further to performers, as cost-effective as possible.
NORMA is more than just a collecting society that collects and distributes remunerations! NORMA seeks to improve the (contractual) situation of performers and to look after their interests.
When users refuse to pay, NORMA seeks to enforce performers’ rights in court. Legal proceedings have been initiated against:
• cable companies (cable retransmission remuneration)
• the Dutch State, in order to enforce the law by introducing a private copying remuneration on mp3-players and dvd/hard drive recording devices.
NORMA provides a service to musicians and artists who own the master of their recording, who can put their music on iTunes at low cost.
The NORMA Fund
The NORMA Fund grants subsidies to performers for social and cultural projects, e.g.:
• concerts, theater shows etc.
• educational projects
• special projects
• CD production (micro credit)
• legal costs for important cases