The International Federation of Musicians, founded in 1948, is the international organisation for musicians’ unions, guilds and professional associations and is now counting about 70 members in 60 countries throughout the world.
FIM has created three regional groups, for Africa (FAC, the FIM African Committee), for Latin America (GLM, Grupo Latinoamericano de Músicos) and for Europe (the European group of FIM) .
The Federation’s main objective is to protect and further the economic, social and artistic interests of musicians represented by its member unions. This leads to such activities as:
– Furtherance of the organisation of musicians in all countries,
– Federation of unions of musicians throughout the world, furtherance and strengthening of international collaboration,
– Promoting of national and international protective legislative (or other) initiatives in the interests of musicians,
– Making of agreements with other international organizations in the interests of member unions and of the profession,
– Obtaining and compilation of statistical and other information referring to the music profession and provision of such information to member unions,
– Moral and material support of member unions in the interests of the profession and in accordance with the objects of FIM,
– Furtherance of all appropriate efforts to make good music a common property of all people,
– Holding of international congresses and conferences,
– Close collaboration with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the International Labour Office (ILO) and UNESCO, and the maintenance of continuous relations with all international organisations which could be of service to FIM.
As a non governmental organisation, FIM has a permanent relationship with major inter-governmental organisations such as UNESCO, the ILO, WIPO. It is recognised and consulted by The Council of Europe, the European Commission, the European Parliament. It enables it to participate in crucial negotiations on the protection of performers where it can make the voice of musicians heard.
FIM is a member of the International Music Council (IMC). It also collaborates with all national and international organisations representing workers in the media field. It has created the International Arts and Entertainment Alliance (IAEA) with the International Federation of Actors (FIA) and UNI-Media and Entertainment International (UNI-MEI). IAEA is a member of the Council of Global Unions (CGU).
FIM works closely with collecting societies administering performers’ rights.
FEDERATION of MUSICIANS